Fairview grounds punchless Avon

Home (Main Menu)


Morning Journal Correspondent

AVON -- Avon played hard right from the opening kickoff, holding the Fairview Warriors to just three yards and intercepting the ball with just 45 seconds off the clock.

Tony Stross then lined up under center to start up the Eagle offense, but the Warriors were too much as Avon couldn't find the end zone in a 21-0 loss at Avon last night.

The Warriors controlled the ball for the majority of the game as Avon struggled to get loose from Fairview's defense. Coming with heavy blitzing and a strong line, Fairview limited Avon's running game to less than 50 yards in the first half.

Avon's passing was ineffective as well with negative ten yards going into the locker room. Penalties also effected Avon's young team with three for 35 yards in the first half alone.

The Warriors' ground assault kept the Eagle defense off guard. With strong running from Jason Mauser, Jordan Beach and Tim Kay, Fairview marched down the field while senior quarterback, Nick Filipic, called the plays like a pro.

Time expired in the first quarter and the Warriors threatened to score at Avon's 23. On a fourth and three, Kevin Poraffke rushed through the Avon defensive line for its first score. The extra point gave Fairview a 7-0 lead.

With under five minutes left in the first half, Fairview was forced to the air on a third and ten at the Avon 44-yard line.

A 19-yard toss to the 6-foot-one senior Kevin Potraffke and another 9-yard bullet to Beach continued the drive. Two plays later, with 44 seconds remaining, Filipic found Beach in the end zone amongst a flock of Eagles to push the lead to 14-0 after the extra point by Sean Wilbur.

Avon opened the second half with a good series of runs from Justin Carrasquillo and QB Stross, but the Eagles were forced to punt. Junior Jim Dosztal unloaded a 36-yard booming punt that put the Warriors deep into their own territory.

The Avon defense held Fairview, forcing them to punt. Despite all the efforts by the Eagles, they again gave up the ball again with four minutes left on the ticker.

A strong running drive put the Warriors into the end zone with a couple of giant runs from Tim Trus, 13 yards, and Warren Stark, 14 yards. Mauser plunged up the gut for eight hard-earned yards to reach the end zone for what would be the final score of the game for Fairview.

Penalties struck the Warriors in the fourth quarter adding four for twenty yards. With several turnovers, neither team was able to score in the final period.

Avon coach Lee Powell said, 'the players didn't move the ball tonight and we need to work on that. This year the conference is fairly even and we hope to repair our problems before the conference play begins. We're a young team and we have a lot of work to do before we see Bay next week.'

'We're happy with tonight's results, although at this point, we're not playing up to our expectations,' said Fairview coach Bill Jones. 'The defense played well as a whole, not allowing Avon to gain many first downs, keeping it from moving down the field.'

Both coaches complimented each other for the outstanding defense that was played by each team. Avon, 0-2 on the season, faces Bay next Friday night at home.

1999 Schedule -- Top -- Home -- What's New

(c) 1999, The Morning Journal