Minutes of the French Creek Development Association, 9-7-04

1) The meeting was called to order by President Carol Hartwig at 7:35PM at the Avon Community Center

MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE: Carol Hartwig, Dorrie Bommer, Lauren Davis, John Eldred, Michelle Braunscheidel, Carolyn Beck, Mike Vasiloff, Fran Carmichael, Paul Burik,

GUESTS AT MEETING: No Guests present


The Minutes from the August 3rd meeting were reviewed. Carol made a correction-under section F-Update on LPC the minutes should read the budget passed on June 28th and a meeting was held on July 1st. Michelle made a motion to approve the minutes with corrections and John seconded-the minutes were approved by membership.


*John distributed a financial report through 9/7/04

*John mentioned that there shouldn't be any issues or concerns if the membership decided to merge the French Creek Development Association and the French Creek Foundation. He will talk to an attorney to get more details and will report on the matter at another meeting.

*Paul made a motion to approve the Treasurer's Report and Michelle seconded-the Treasurer's Report was approved by membership.




Corporate/Business: $100

Individual: $15

Patron: $250

B) Meeting Notices in Local Papers-Monthly Basis Notices appeared in the Press and The Sun

C) Newsletters (Quarterly newsletters and sponsors needed-$80 Sponsorship)

November sponsor may be Tommy Hricovec's Construction company for helping us with the Little League Sign

D) French Creek Association Meetings

Jack was not present at the meeting and therefore there was no formal report. Carol mentioned the Antique Fall Festival dates are 9/11 and 9/12

E) Cats Meow (Michelle)

Michelle said she should have received the proof of the line drawing of the Lewis House for approval. She left a voicemail for her contact to see when she can expect the proof. The deadline for approval is mid-September.

F) Update on Landmarks Preservation Commission (Carol)

Carol reported that letters are being mailed out to homeowners who are on the survey. Next meeting set for 9/21/04.

G) Book On Avon (Michelle)

-Michelle reported that the publisher did not like our photo selections for the cover of the book. She prefers to have photos with people and action. The publisher says we must have an exciting cover in order for them to sell more books. The membership picked out a few photos and Michelle will send suggestions to the publisher for approval. -Next committee meeting will be at Michelle's house on Saturday, September 18th at 10AM. Please make sure to bring all photos and captions. Michelle will advise on the new deadline for the book.

Landscaping Project for the Little League Park

Paul reported that the foundation has been poured. Paul distributed drawings of the size of the ball that will be placed on the base. The 20-inch ball would cost $200 and the 24-inch ball would cost $300. The membership voted for the larger ball. Fran suggested that we see if someone can etch stitching on the ball to make it look like a baseball. Paul's neighbor, Fred Gunther, donated his labor for the masonry work. Dorrie will verify with the city the correct name of the park for our sign. A suggestion for the sign was “Entrance monument donated by the French Creek Development Association 2004” The cost to make the sign is approximately $410.

Northgate Park Flower Box

Jerry was not present at the meeting so no formal report was given.

J) Golf Outing (Mike V)

We will discuss this issue in greater depth at our October meeting to see if this activity is Feasible.

Water Bottles (Carol)

-We have 15 cases left

-Members please call Mike V to make arrangements to pick up water and then send checks for $12 per case for payment to John

Avon Isle Update-(Dorrie)

-Carol sent an email to the LPC consultant to see if Avon Isle can be listed on the National Registry so that it will be easier to get grants to renovate the building.

Lorain County Beautiful Awards- (Carol)

Carol mailed info on July 8th. Here are the FCDA nominees: French Creek Square, Avon Oaks Nursing, 2100 Center Road Plaza, Blackwell Barn, Old Town Hall and new Fire Station.

-Invitations for the awards dinner should be arriving shortly


Flower Boxes on Bridge by Avon Isle: there was a complaint from the Avon Safety Director regarding the flower boxes on the bridge. The boxes will be moved to the end of The bridge so that pedestrians and bikers can pass.


Michelle made a motion to adjourn the meeting and Paul seconded-the motion was passed and the meeting was adjourned at 8:40PM




Index of Minutes -- Top -- Home -- What's New