"Indian Ridge Museum from Old to New"
11-11-10: Intersociety Meeting
President Jack Smith called the September 1, 2010, meeting of the Avon Historical Society to order at 7:05 p.m. There were about 30 members and guests present.
After correcting a city name from Rootstown to Waterbury, the minutes were approved as amended. Jim Szippl made the motion with Susie Cory seconding.
Christine White gave the treasurer's report with $5,633.11 in the checking account. Theresa Szippl presented a $70.40 postage bill for membership.
Jack offered congratulations to Chuck and Cheryl Huene for planting and maintaining the flower boxes and planters at the front of the Old Town Hall. He also thanked Joe Richvalsky for having seen through on the purchase and installation of the blinds and renovation of the draperies.
Regarding the Christmas party Nancy McGhee said it could be held at the Senior Center; however, no adult beverages could be served. A $100 rental fee would be required at the VFW. Jean Fischer volunteered her home for the party site. Nancy made the motion to accept the invitation. Stan Hawryluk seconded. Motion passed.
With prompting by the telephone committee, Susie Cory and Pat Furnas, RSVP's will be required. Members and spouses are encouraged to assemble finger foods for the event. Beverages will be served by the Society.
Joe Richvalsky gave an update on the Landmarks Preservation Commission. He said they continue to work with the Cleveland Restoration Society on the Heritage Home Loan Program. The Commission continues to work on having Avon become a Certified Local Government.
The Commission is also consulting with the city on the renovation of the Avon Isle Building. The Cleveland Restoration Society is encouraging the city to do the renovation correctly.
For historical correctness, they would like to see the current windows remain with the addition of storm windows on the inside. [This is less expensive than ripping out the windows and replacing them with vinyl. Storm wimdows were installed on the inside at the Old Town Hall of 1871 preserving the original windows.]
Stan Hawryluk reported on the summer field trip to Lakeview Cemetery. He is planning a future trip to the Maritime Museum for next July.
Ralph White has been conferring with the architect working on Avon Isle. He provided old pictures to capture the historical correctness for the building. The city is contemplating removing the small room at the side of the stage. The old ceiling in the dance hall will be removed to expose the roof structure. Ralph, too, is encouraging the city to retain the old authentic, original windows and install storm windows to augment energy conservation.
Jack talked about the September 11 and 12 Fall Festival, "Fall into Avon." A part of that will be "A Taste of Avon," a Farmers' Market and a Kid's Pavilion. Ralph will maintain a table at the Taste of Avon site to advertise the Avon Historical Society. Ralph will be at the table from 1-4 both Saturday and Sunday. Rose Marie Banfield will also be at the site.
The Old Town Hall will be open with Jean Fischer and Pat Furnas in period costume demonstrating quilting. One of the tapes will be playing on the video.
For the October meeting Jean said Matt Nahorn will give a power point presentation on the Col. Ray Vietzen Indian Ridge Museum.
At a later date, it will be determined if the November meeting will be held at the Old Town Hall or if the Inter Society meeting at Carlisle Reservation will suffice as a meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 7:36 with Stan Hawryluk making the motion and Jim Szippl seconding.
Jean Fischer then presented "Millionaires' Row" The homes of Millionaires' Row were built mostly in the 1880's on estates that extended from Euclid Avenue to Lake Erie. (The Lake Erie shore was later used as a landfill; and today it is the site of the Shoreway and I-90.)
Many of these homes were owned by the same industrialists who established Lakeview Cemetary: Rockefeller (oil), Wade (telegraph), Mather (shipping), Bolton, Payne, and more, who made Cleveland great.
Respectfully submitted, JoAnne Easterday
Matt Nahorn will present "Indian Ridge Museum from Old to New". at the meeting of the Avon Historical Society at 7 pm on Wednesday, 10-6-10, at the Old Town Hall of 1871, corner of Detroit and Stoney Ridge. For more information, contact Jean Fischer at 934-6106 or Stan Hawryluk at 934-0224.
Matt is maintaining the tradition of Col. Raymond Vietzen.
The New Indian Ridge Museum is a private museum that was founded in 2000 by Col. Matthew W. Nahorn. One goal of the Museum is to preserve the history of Col. Raymond C. and Mrs. Ruth Vietzen and their Indian Ridge Museum. The intent of this goal is to reassemble as many artifacts as possible from the Vietzen museum, into the New Indian Ridge Museum.
The New Indian Ridge Museum is currently housed in the basement of the Historic Shupe House, at the Jacob Shupe Homestead 1816 Wildlife Preserve on Cooper Foster Park Road in Amherst, Ohio.
The Greek revival style house that Mr. Shupe constructed was finished by 1827 and is the first frame house to have been constructed in Amherst, Ohio. It is one of the earliest of its kind still standing in Lorain County.
The property on which the house is situated (15 acres of the original 300 purchased by Jacob Shupe) is now protected through a land conservation easement held with the Western Reserve Land Conservancy-Firelands District, in cooperation with the New Indian Ridge Museum Wildlife Preserve.
On display is an arrowhead made of beautiful Flint Ridge Material from Southern Ohio. The artifact was found in Sandusky, Erie County, Ohio. Originally in the Indian Ridge Museum, now preserved at the New Indian Ridge Museum.
Parking for meetings of the Avon Historical Society:
(7 pm on first Wednesdays at the Old Town Hall of 1871, corner of Detroit and Stoney Ridge)
East side of the Old Town Hall of 1871,
Across Detroit Rd. at Nemo's Restaurant (park close to Colorado),
Across Colorado Avenue behind Blue Chip,
On the east side of Buck's Hardware on Church Street,
Across Stoney Ridge at Lois Shinko's Country Store parking lot (just south of the Gazebo).
The Intersociety Committee of the Lorain County Historical Society
Annual Meeting and Potluck Dinner
Thurs., November 11, 2010 (Veterans' Day), Beginning at 6:00 p.m.
at the Lorain County Metroparks Carlisle Reservation Visitor Center, 12882 Diagonal Road, LaGrange, Ohio 44050, west of S.R. 301:
Take Routes 10/20 west to the Route 301 South (LaGrange Road) exit. Turn left onto 301 South. Drive a short distance to the second intersection on your right, Nickel Plate - Diagonal Road, which is across from the red brick Carlisle Township Fire Department, and drive 0.7 mile to the Duck Pond Picnic Area entrance, which will be on your right. Drive 0.8 mile farther on Diagonal Road and the entrance to the Carlisle Visitor Center will also be on the right.
Hosted this year by the Columbia Historical Society
"Tunes of the Pioneers"
Music from the Revolution to 1810
Presented by The Unexpected Party,
Featuring Dulcimers and More
Representatives of ALL Historical or Genealogical Groups throughout Lorain County are Invited to Attend, and Tell What Your Group has been Doing Lately!
(Bring a dish to share, your own place service, and beverage; coffee will be provided).
|The spiral binding of the Guide lets the pages lie flat.|
Guide to the North Ridge Scenic Byway, Lorain County, Ohio
by Charles E. Herdendorf, Ph.D.
Professor of Biological & Geological Sciences
The Ohio State University
Prepared for The Sheffield Village Historical Society. Village of Sheffield, Ohio
The Avon Historical Society, City of Avon, Ohio
This 276-page full-color guidebook describes in detail the fascinating natural setting and cultural history of The North Ridge Scenic Byway along State Route 254 in Lorain County, Ohio. It presents a mile point-by-mile point log of noteworthy attributes and vistas of the North Ridge Scenic Byway.
Topics covered include scenic, geological, botanical, native wildlife, archaeological, historical, agricultural, recreational, and cultural features of the corridor. The guidebook is 276 pages in length and is richly illustrated with new color images, historic photographs, explanatory diagrams, and easily-followed maps.
Features: 276 pages; Spiral-bound; Full-Color; Guide pages are 6" x 9"
The Guide may be purchased at
Long, Long Ago Antiques, 36923 Detroit Road, 934-4777
Shinko's Country Store, 2536 Stoney Ridge Road, 934-6119
Catherine's Chocolates, 36718 Detroit Road, 934-4240
Countryside Antiques, 36920 Detroit Road, 934-4228
Details, 36840 Detroit Road, 934-3457
The Guide may also be purchased online from French Creek Medical at