President Jack Smith called the March 3, 2010, meeting of the Avon Historical Society to order at 7:03 p.m. There were about 20 members and guests present.
The minutes of Feb. 3 were approved after a correction. New member Barb Linton corrected the spelling of her name. Jean Fischer made the motion. Pat Furnace seconded.
Jack gave the treasurer's report. There is $6,745.71 in the money market account and $843.68 in checking.
Stan Hawryluk reported that 22 AHS members as a group went to the play, "Ten Cents a Dance" sponsored by TrueNorth Cultural Arts and the Lorain County Metroparks. [If you have ideas for field trips, please call Stan at 934-0224.]
Jack spoke of the upcoming Heart of Avon celebration March 20 and 21. The Cleveland Restoration Society will present two programs explaining the Heritage Home Loans. The programs will be presented at the Old Town Hall of 1871 at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. on the twentieth.
On the twenty-first, four century homes will be open to the public from 1 to 3 p.m.
The Dewitt C. Moon Home (1847) 39016 Detroit Road
38744 Detroit Road (1880)
Dr. Pipes Home 37399 Detroit Road
William H. Bommer House (1880) 37375 Detroit Road
On Sunday, March 21, there will be a Eagle Scout ceremony at Old Town Hall for Tom Kvach, the Boy Scout who directed the refurbishment of the sign box, front doors, and railings of Old Town Hall. His fellow scouts and fathers completed the project.
Jean Fischer spoke of upcoming programs: Janet Bird will present, "What's It?" on April 7.
Ralph White asked that groups who use OTH during daytime hours refrain from using the barbershop parking lot. Customers have nowhere to park. Club members were encouraged to park across the street at the antique shop or beside OTH or across Detroit at Nemo's during the day.
Jason Smith encouraged participation in this year's Fall Festival and Taste of Avon in anticipation of the 2014 bicentennial celebration.
For the bicentennial Jack spoke of possibly enlisting TrueNorth Cultural Arts to produce a series of plays about Norton Townshend -- laying field tile to drain the farm lands, his being an Ohio legislator and abolitionist, head of the Army Sanitary Commission during the Civil War, and a founder of the Ohio State University could be topics for the plays.
Carol Smith moved and Ralph White seconded for adjournment.
Jean introduced Jim Smith of the Lorain County Historical Society who did a power point presentation on Rutherford B. Hayes.
There are two new members to the Society: Bob Ramer of Eagle Creek Drive and Dave Less, who bought a home, built in 1911 on Stoney Ridge Road.
Respectfully submitted, JoAnne Easterday