Minutes of the Avon Historical Society, 10-8-01

Grant application forms

President Jack Smith opened the meeting of the Avon Historical Society at 7:00 p.m. at The Old Town Hall.

As the first order of business he asked the secretary to read the minutes of the previous meeting of October 1, 2001. After the minutes were read he asked if there were any additions or corrections to the minutes as read. There being none, a motion to approve the minutes was made by Dottie Eldred and seconded by John Eldred. The motion was unanimously passed by the members present.

Jack then asked for the treasurer's report. In the absence of Barb Wolfe, Mike Wolfe reported the following: as of this evening there is a balance of $626.56 in the checking account. Approximately $522.00 of this amount has come from dues and donations. Our money market account currently has a balance of $4,773.07.

Mike then asked Dr. Fischer to give the group the current number of our membership. Dr. Fischer reported we have 137 current members.

For the record and for the benefit of new members, Jack then stated that there is sufficient parking available for our meetings -- next to the Old Town Hall, behind Smitty's Barber Shop, across the street at Nemo's Restaurant, across Colorado Avenue behind Blue Chip and this side of Buck's Hardware on Church Street and Lois Shinko's parking lot.

As a wrap-up to the Norton Townshend dedication ceremony Jack reported that we had approximately 200 people in attendance, it was a beautiful day, and everything went off better than expected. There was a bountiful spread of food and refreshments back at the Old Town Hall for all of our guests.

Jean Fischer then reported on the inter-society pot luck dinner at The Avon Library which our club hosted on June 4, 2001. The evening was a great success with 58 members present and everyone enjoyed themselves and the video - Old Glory.

Jean next reported on the Lorain County inter-society pot luck picnic at Mill Hollow in Vermilion. This event was originally scheduled for earlier in the summer but the temperature was 95 so the event was rescheduled for this past Saturday, October 6th -- with the temperature in the 40's and wind chill around 25 degrees -- winter coats, gloves and stocking hats were the order of the day.

There were 40 hearty souls who attended and ate very fast while chasing plates and napkins. A short business meeting followed touching on the $60,000.00 that the county commissioners have available and the upcoming Bicentennial celebration. This is the last inter-society function for the year.

Moving on with old business the president then stated that regarding our invitation from council president Shaun Brady to chair the decorating project for the city buildings, that he has spoken to Shaun and was asked "what's holding us up?"

Jean Fischer then took the floor to explain our position. She pointed to the 3 prints we have displayed by Rose Mitock and reported that she had just received copies from Rose who is graciously donating them to the project.

Jean has been busy trying to get local business to frame the pictures if not donate their services without luck. She has decided on Harts on Broadway in Lorain who will do the work for us.

Jack stated further that this will be a fairly extensive project in that we will be doing city hall, the old city hall on Detroit Road and the service building on Jaycox.

Also the city, depending on the results of the election may be considering a new building. The bottom line is that we need a city building decorating committee to get this project going. Volunteering were Jean Fischer, Dottie Eldred and Ron Larson.

Reporting further regarding the $60,000.00 mentioned earlier, this is a sum set aside by the county commissioners for the historical societies of Lorain County.

$10,000.00 has already been set aside to be used for the Bicentennial. There is $28,000.00 available for grants to Lorain County Historical Societies. This money cannot be spent on salaries or electric bills, etc., They want a project to exist when the money is spent.

The deadline for the application for a grant application is November 15th. Our next meeting is November 5th and Jack Smith and his committee will have something in writing to present to us at that time.

Dr. Fischer then stated that he was concerned who would do the granting of the grants -- the executive committee of the Lorain County Historical Societies. In the future it is his opinion that we should use a little muscle to see that a committee of inter-society people should make those decisions regarding grants. There might be a tendency to favor societies the way it stands.

The clubs making the application need to be tax exempt - and they need to make application for the money. Also we can submit more than 1 grant application. He reminded the group that the application must be specific as to need.

As the next item of business under old business Jack Smith gave an update on the renovations for The Old town Hall that have been discussed at previous meetings. Regarding the air conditioning, we need a follow up with the electrician, but according to Shaun Brady, the air conditioning and the painting of the old fire station in the rear have both been approved by council and the mayor.

It should be in the hands of Bob Hamilton, but the money has been approved. The remaining projects -- the front steps and railing -- we have yet to obtain bids after several local contractors backed out. In order to keep this project moving the president asked for a step committee to acquire bids to fix the steps, with hopefully at least 2 bids to choose from; any information can be obtained from Jack. Jim Szipple offered to take on this project.

Moving along to the Bicentennial celebration, Dr. Fischer took the floor. He stated that he and Jack have been attending the Bicentennial meetings since February. In speaking to the director of exhibits he suggested an exhibit that would catch everyone's eye and leave them saying `wow'.

Dr. Fischer then went into a short story of how we could use an old manure spreader of Mike Wolfe's with a fresh load of manure -- that would certainly `wow' the crowd. Or we could re-create blowing up tree stumps using a computer programmed to blow off every minute or so -- that would also `wow' the crowd -- but neither suggestion was taken seriously.

Getting back to serious business, Dr. Fischer reported that though the meetings were well attended, the fact that there would be $60,000.00 available to pass out, everyone thought that people would be coming out of the woodwork, but that has not been true.

The meetings moved along and they formed a partnership with the Lorain County Parks System. They offered the building located on the French Creek Reservation on Colorado Avenue in Sheffield Village for 2 months in 2003 for the Bicentennial display.

During that time we will need some of our members to be at the exhibit hall for 2 or 3 hours per day. Also we need to consider whether we want a couple of days dedicated to Avon itself. We could set aside an evening and hold a special reception. Jack will make the committee's official proposal at our next meeting.

Jack continued that they are proposing to build and display a 12-foot working water wheel with an overshoot with buckets and working motor to recycle the water in motion. This will tie in with Avon's old water mill, This display will be next to Brownhelm's actual complete scale model of a water mill. This way the displays will compliment each other.

Along another line we will be covering Avon's history from 1814 to present and will be needing artifacts of Avon to go along the time line. We will need a committee to gather items that we can display in the hall for 2 months from April to mid June 2003. Items like more field tile, tools, pictures, etc. would be welcome.. We will ask for volunteers for this committee at our next meeting.

Jack then reported further that the ground work for the water wheel for the Bicentennial display earlier referred is already underway. He has personally written the grant application in the amount of $1,500.00 to fund the building of the water wheel. Grant Thompson has graciously agreed to help with the project

Under new business regarding the Avon Planning Commission's request to have the Avon Historical Society propose an ordinance to establish a historical overlay zoning classification, this item was to be discussed in greater detail at our meeting scheduled for September 11th that was canceled. We hope to reschedule these speakers for after the first of the year. [Tentatively scheduled for Monday, 1-7-02]

Jack then reported that in the near future we will need to have a committee to inventory and photograph historical structures in our city. We can apply for a grant to help cover the costs involved. The county last did this in 1976 when they hired employees to inventory the historical homes in the county but nothing has been done since.

Ron Larson stated that in addition to historical homes in Avon, we should also include structures such as the Schwartz barn and the old school house on center Road owned by Bill Mayton as well as several of our churches.

Dr. Fischer stated that the county would probably be calling soon to have a representative of our club on this project. In 1976 there were 13 historical structures in Avon included in the county inventory, and we are hoping to add to that number this time around.

Jean added further that Pat O'Toole a former member of our club had a printout from the Lorain County Auditor's Office with all the homes in Avon. It doesn't give the exact age but it gives the approximate age of every home in Avon.

Going back to a discussion of the historical overlay zoning ordinance we have been asked to participate in, Jack Smith stated that he has begun researching historical zoning ordinances from other cities. It is his feeling that most historical overlay zoning is intended to slow down the destruction of historical structures.

We can't stop them entirely from demolishing the structures if they are so inclined, but hopefully with some historical overlay zoning, we may delay or hopefully change the minds of someone who wants to demolish the structure immediately and who will be forced by the ordinance to wait 6 months or so before being permitted to do so.

Since this is an extremely important issue to our club Jack said he would be happy to be on the committee to do the groundwork. Tim Nickum also volunteered to be a part of the committee.

Another possible idea would be to seek a grant to cover the cost of a photo project which would create a collection of pictures of the existing buildings now in the French Creek District. We could have 4 or 5 fundamental architectural styles as they now exist.

New structures would required to conform to the architectural style of existing structures. We would strive further to work with the French Creek Development Association and/or City Council to put some restrictions on the French Creek District. Jack then asked for a volunteers to work on French Creek Standards Committee. Dr. Fischer and John Eldred volunteered for this committee.

Reviewing some of our other existing committees, Pat Furnace and Anna Allen will continue on the calling committee as in the past. As a reminder if you have an e-mail address and have not provided it to Jack, please do so and you will be notified by e-mail immediately of news items of our club.

Regarding the refreshment committee, Jean reported that there is no standing committee, she merely starts at the top of our membership list and works her way alphabetically down the list for people to bring refreshments and it continues to work quite nicely.

Further regarding the Avon Isle restoration project, Tim Nickum reported that the city has applied for 2 grants to assist the city with the restoration including fixing and building the bridge and the parking lot on the other side of the creek as well as the total restoration of the building itself.

The mayor has recently met with the directors and city engineer and came up with estimates the he would need to put into the grant. The estimated cost is $500,000.00. We are fortunate that Jeff Armbruster is a huge supporter of this project for us and we have been told that the money is there and available.

Regarding the annual Christmas Party, this year Marilyn Micencik has offered to have the party at her home, however there is some concern as to the number of people who may be attending this year with our high membership.

Nancy McGhee and Theresa Szipple offered to chair the Christmas Party and will work with Marilyn and finding a possible alternate site if necessary.

Ron Larson then gave the club an update on the progress of the moving of the Lewis home at 1840 Center Road. There is an option to purchase on the property currently.

Dr. Fischer and Jean helped Ron Larson apply for a grant to assist with this project. However, to be safe and to have the funds available, they went to Firstar Bank and applied for a loan. These things don't move very fast, but you must be ready to perform when the time comes. We very much want to save this home and it will become part of the Avon Village behind the fire station.

The structure was offered to The Avon Historical Society who in turn gave it to Ron. The house needs to be removed 60 days after the purchase option is exercised.

Ron has contacted the movers and their structural engineers. Everything is in place. There has been some concern about going over interstate 90 but they feel everything will work out. It will be moved at 5 miles per hour with a State Patrol escort, city engineers, and who knows what else.

Ron explained that the cost involved was a personal loan of $90,000.00 that he took out with the move costing between $35,000.00 and $38,000.00 alone. Ron also asked the members if anyone was aware of an old partial wood greenhouse that might be available that he could attach to the house.

There was a discussion as to whether or not the club would be interested in getting involved in saving the school house located on Bill Mayton's property. Ron has talked to him and is trying to convince him of the value of saving the structure.

Further if anyone is aware of other buildings that might be slated for demolition in the city let us know and we will do everything we possible can to save the structures.

There being no further business to conduct, a motion was made by Dottie Eldred to adjourn the meeting which motion was seconded by Jean Fischer and unanimously passed.

Respectfully submitted, Nancy McGhee, Secretary

Top -- Home

A Blank Form

LORAIN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

GRANT APPLICATION FOR 2001-2002

Mail the original application and all required attachments to:

LORAIN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

THE HICKORIES

509 WASHINGTON AVENUE

ELYRIA, OHIO 44035

COVER SHEET AND SUMMARY

Name of Applicant Organization: Avon Historical Society

Address: 2940 Stoney Ridge Rd.

City: Avon

State: OH

Zip Code: 44011

Grant Contact Person and Title:

Telephone:

Fax:

Email Address:

Tax I.D. Number: 34-6580460

TOTAL GRANT FUNDS REQUESTED

$

As evidenced by my signature below, the organization noted on this page applies for a grant of funds as described, and agrees to abide by the stated regulations concerning same.

(Signature of President, Board Chairperson, or Director of Applicant Organization)

Taylor J. Smith, President, Avon Historical Society

(Print Name and Title of Person Signing Above)

ATTACHMENT "A"

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

Please Provide A Text Description Of The Project That The Grant Will Be Used For Please

Confine Your Description To This Page

ATTACHMENT "B"

FINANCIAL SUMMARY

Please Provide A Breakdown Of How The Grant Funds Will Be Expended

Written Estimates from Vendors, Contractors, Suppliers, etc. Should Be Attached

Good Documentation of Amounts Listed Will Enhance The Acceptability of An Application

Category Description ------------ Amount

Equipment:

Supplies:

Services:

Other:

Total Expenditure (Should Match Grant Request)

$

ATTACHMENT "C"

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

Attach Copy Of Constitution, Bylaws, Or Other Document Stating Your Organization's Primary Purpose

ATTACHMENT "D"

501(3)c STATUS

Attach Copy Of Your Organization's Proof Of 501(c)3 Status, From The I.R.S.

ATTACHMENT "E"

INCORPORATION

Attach Copy Of Your Organization's Proof of Incorporation From The State Of Ohio

-------------------------------------------------------

Form for Water Wheel

LORAIN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

GRANT APPLICATION FOR 2001-2002

Mail the original application and all required attachments to:

LORAIN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

THE HICKORIES

509 WASHINGTON AVENUE

ELYRIA, OHIO 44035

COVER SHEET AND SUMMARY

Name of Applicant Organization: Avon Historical Society

Address: 2940 Stoney Ridge Rd.

City: Avon

State: OH

Zip Code: 44011

Grant Contact Person and Title: Taylor J. Smith

Telephone: 440-937-5516

Fax:

Email Address: tjs11@centurytel.net

Tax I.D. Number: 34-6580460

TOTAL GRANT FUNDS REQUESTED

$1500.00

As evidenced by my signature below, the organization noted on this page applies for a grant of funds as described, and agrees to abide by the stated regulations concerning same.

(Signature of President, Board Chairperson, or Director of Applicant Organization)

Taylor J. Smith, President, Avon Historical Society

(Print Name and Title of Person Signing Above)

ATTACHMENT "A"

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

Please Provide A Text Description Of The Project That The Grant Will Be Used For Please

Confine Your Description To This Page:

This project is a dynamic display to be part of the celebration in Lorain County of the Ohio Bicentennial in 2003.

The Avon Historical Society proposes, with the assistance of the the Lorain County Metroparks to construct a 12-foot diameter moving water wheel, with water pouring over it.

We would display the wheel in a program hosted by the Lorain County Metroparks at the French Creek Nature Center from mid-April through mid-June, 2003. This program is a combined effort of all the local historical societies in Lorain County under the leadership of the Lorain County Historical Society.

The Avon Historical Society wants to do the water wheel project because of the importance of a saw mill and a grist mill in Avon's early history, and also because of the importance of modern manufacturing in Avon.

Avon would cooperate with the Brownhelm Historical Society which would present a model of a complete mill.

ATTACHMENT "B"

FINANCIAL SUMMARY

Please Provide A Breakdown Of How The Grant Funds Will Be Expended

Written Estimates from Vendors, Contractors, Suppliers, etc. Should Be Attached

Good Documentation of Amounts Listed Will Enhance The Acceptability of An Application

Category Description ------------ Amount

Equipment: motor, pump, hardware $1500

Supplies: donated scrap redwood

Services:

Other:

Total Expenditure (Should Match Grant Request)

$1500.00

ATTACHMENT "C"

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

Attach Copy Of Constitution, Bylaws, Or Other Document Stating Your Organization's Primary Purpose

ATTACHMENT "D"

501(3)c STATUS

Attach Copy Of Your Organization's Proof Of 501(c)3 Status, From The I.R.S.

ATTACHMENT "E"

INCORPORATION

Attach Copy Of Your Organization's Proof of Incorporation From The State Of Ohio

Index of Minutes -- Top -- Home -- What's New