Townshend

Historical Marker honoring Norton S. Townshend, M.D.

Text of the historical marker to be dedicated on May 6, 2001:

NORTON S. TOWNSHEND

(1815 - 1895)

A progressive farmer, physician, and legislator, Norton S. Townshend had a residence in Avon from 1830 until his death.

His introduction of field drainage tile significantly increased the productivity of Avon farming.

A well-educated country doctor, he served this district as a U. S. congressman (1851 - 1853) and later as an Ohio state senator. As a legislator, Townshend, a member of the anti-slavery "Free Soil" Party, espoused civil rights for women and free blacks.

Later he was instrumental in the founding of the Agricultural and Mechanical College in Columbus, serving as its first professor of agriculture. In 1878, this land-grant college became Ohio State University, where Townshend Hall stands in honor of his founding role.

He is interred in Avon's mound cemetary.

OHIO BICENTENNIAL COMMISSION

THE LONGABERGER COMPANY

THE AVON HISTORICAL SOCIETY

THE OHIO HISTORICAL SOCIETY

2001