Neighborhood News from Avon appears on Thursdays. To contribute, mail items to
2965 Hayes St.
or call 934-4417.
Join Christmas caroling
The Golden Crescent Chapter of the American Business Women's Association will be caroling in the French Creek Antique District as part of the Avon Christmas Candlelight Weekend. Anyone interested in learning more about the group is welcome. To participate in the caroling, meet at 37311 Detroit Road at 6:30 p.m. For more information, contact Kara Afrates at 288-3019.
Fitness, conditioning class
Join the Avon Recreation Department Physical Fitness and Conditioning class. The six-week course is held on Mondays and Thursdays from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Avon High School conditioning room. The class will run from Monday, Nov. 6, through Monday, Dec. 18. The cost is $45 per person. Call Donna Russian, recreation coordinator, at 934-5044, if you're interested.
Band's tag day
The Avon High School Marching Band will be canvassing the city for donations on Tag Day, Saturday, Nov. 11. This is an annual fund-raising event for band students in grades five through 12. For anyone not home on Tag Day, donations can be mailed to Avon Band Boosters, P. O. Box 169, Avon 44011. For more information, contact Barb Hoban, 327-0816.
Basketball program for children
The Little Eagles Basketball program will be offered for any child in grades three through six, who will be 8 years old by Dec. 1, and attends Avon City Schools, or lives in the city. The program will be offered at Avon High School on Saturday mornings. The fee is $20 for the first child and $15 for each additional child. Registration is Saturday, Nov. 4, and Nov. 11, from 10 a.m. until noon in the Avon High School cafeteria. For more information, contact Donna Russian at 934-5044 or 934-3059.
Historical society to meet
The Avon Historical Society will meet Monday, Nov. 5, at 7 p.m. in the Old Town Hall, located at the corner of Stoney Ridge and Detroit roads. Jean Fischer, local historian, will speak about an Avon pioneer family, starting with William Cahoon, in 1630 through 1936. Guests are welcome.
Attend booster meeting
Athletic Booster Club, representing all students, will meet Tuesday, Nov. 7, at 7 p.m. in the lecture hall of Avon High School.
Workshop on starting a business
''How to Start Your Own Business'' will be presented in four segments, starting on Thursday, Nov. 8, at 7 p.m. in the Avon Branch Library. Necessary registration can be made by calling 934-4743.
Library book sale
The Avon Friends of the Library Book Sale will be today from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Avon Branch Library, 37485 Harvest Drive.
Lunch menu selection
Here's what's served for lunch in the Avon City Schools from Thursday, Nov. 2, to Thursday, Nov. 9:
Avon East Elementary and Village:
- Thursday: French toast sticks, sausage, hashbrowns, orange juice
- Friday: Hamburger on bun, French fries, fruity bubble gum Jell-O
- Monday: Soft pretzel with cheese, tator tots, cherry cheese dessert
- Tuesday: Sack lunch, peanut butter and jelly, carrot sticks, orange wedges, peanut butter cookie
- Wednesday: Pepperoni pizza, tossed salad, fruit punch
- Thursday: Cheesy chicken and rice, buttered broccoli, roll and butter, cherry shape-up
Avon Middle and high school:
- Thursday: French toast sticks, sausage patties, hashbrowns, orange juice
- Friday: Hamburger or corn dogs, curley fries, fruity Jell-O
- Monday: Cheese chicken and rice with buttered broccoli or Steak Um and tator tots, orange sherbet
- Tuesday: Fried chicken wrap or soft pretzel with cheese, baby carrots with dip, diced peaches, peanut butter cookie
- Wednesday: Pepperoni pizza or 10'' hoagie sub, tossed salad, fruit punch
- Thursday: Turkey and gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, roll and butter, pineapple tidbits
School's choir concert
There will be a choir concert tonight at 7 o'clock in the Avon Village School auditorium.
The Latest News
(c) 2000, The Morning Journal