Neighborhood News from Avon appears on Thursdays. To contribute, mail items to
2965 Hayes St.
or call 934-4417.
A spaghetti dinner will be served Sunday, April 22, from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Avon. Cost is $5 for adults, $3 for children 12 and under.
Book talks set
The adult book discussion will be Tuesday, April 24, at the Avon Branch Library at 2 p.m. Also on that date, a mother-daughter book discussion will be held at 7:30 p.m.
The next meeting of the Avon Athletic Boosters Club will be Tuesday, May 1, at 7:30 p.m. in room 212 of Avon High School.
The Avon Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 7035 will meet Thursday, May 10, at 8 p.m. in the post home, 36950 Mills Road. Plans for a Mother's Day observance will be made at that time.
The Avon Recreation Department will be sponsoring an adult coed softball program on Sunday evenings at Schwartz Road Park. Cost is $350 per team, which includes shirts for 14 players, softballs and umpire fees. For more information contact Donna at 934-5044 or 934-3059. Registration must be completed by Tuesday, May 13.
Here's what's cooking in the Avon schools from April 23 to 26:
Avon East and Village elementary:
- Monday: Cheese dippers with sauce, green beans, chilled fruit cup, milk
- Tuesday: Rotini with meat sauce, seasoned breadstick, corny corn, fruit shape up, milk
- Wednesday: Cheese pizza, garden salad, strawberry shortcake, milk
- Thursday: Ham and cheese snackables, crackers, baby carrots with dip, grapes, milk
Avon Middle and high school:
- Monday: Mr. Hero cheeseburger with crisscross fries or chicken Caesar with roll and butter, pineapple tidbits, milk
- Tuesday: Pasta bar with assorted meat sauces, seasoned breadstick, mini Caesar, grapes, milk
- Wednesday: Salisbury steak with tomato gravy, green beans, steamed rice and roll, fruit cup, milk
- Thursday: Footlong hot dog or grilled ham and cheese, tator tots, fruit shape up, milk
Avon St. Mary Altar and Rosary Society will sponsor a spring luncheon card party Wednesday, April 25, at noon at Tom's Country Place, 3442 Stoney Ridge Road, Avon. Admission is $7 at the door. Reservations can be made by calling 934-4078, 934-5933 or 934-5722. Ladies and gentlemen are welcome.
Adding lanes in Westlake
The Canterbury Road Bridge over I-90 is closed starting 4-23-01 until the end of August. The detour is to take Columbia to First Street, back to Canterbury.
The Cahoon Road Bridge over I-90 is expected to close on Monday, April 30th .
The permanent work zone is set up on I-90 east and westbound between Columbia Road and Cahoon Road; motorists are driving in two 11 foot lanes.
The Latest News
(c) 2001, The Morning Journal