Neighborhood News from Avon appears on Thursdays. To contribute, mail items to
2965 Hayes St.
or call 934-4417.
Free glucose screening
The Avon Recreation Department, St. John Westshore Outreach Department and Avenbury Lakes Development Co. will be offering a free glucose screening to all Avon residents. The screening will be Tuesday, May 8, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., at the Avenbury Lakes Lodge, Middleton Road. Also, free blood pressure testing will be offered. For information call Donna Russian, Avon Recreation coordinator, at 934-3059.
Lunch menu selection
Check out the Avon schools lunch menu from May 3 to 10:
Avon Village and East elementaries:
- Thursday: Chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes and gravy, roll and butter, pineapple tidbits, milk
- Friday: Hot dog on bun, seasoned corn, pineapple tidbits, milk
- Monday: Steak um on a bun, tator tots, diced pears, milk
- Tuesday: Lasagna with meat sauce, seasoned bread stick, green beans, orange sherbet, cookie, milk
- Wednesday: Macho nachos with beef and cheese, corny corn, fresh fruit cup, milk
- Thursday: French toast sticks, sausage patty, hashbrown, orange juice, milk
Avon High School:
- Thursday: 2-4-1 BBQ rib sandwich, seasoned corn, fruit cocktail, milk
- Friday: Grilled ham and cheese, tator tots, pineapple tidbits, milk
- Monday: Turkey bacon cheese wrap, tator tots, diced pears, milk
- Tuesday: Lasagna with meat sauce, green beans, orange sherbet, cookie, milk
- Wednesday: Pepperoni pizza, tossed salad, applesauce, cake, milk
- Thursday: Turkey gravy, mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, diced peaches, milk
On Sunday, May 6, Dr. Norton Townshend will be honored for his achievements during his lifetime in Avon with a 4-foot by 4-foot bronze plaque from the Ohio Bicentennial Commission. The dedication ceremony begins at 2 p.m. in the gazebo on Heritage Square at the intersection of Detroit and Stoney Ridge roads. Townshend was instrumental helping the early farming community to improve the fertility and productivity of Avon farmland.
Men's breakfast set
On Saturday, the Avon Men's Group will meet at 7 a.m. at the Cracker Barrel Restaurant. Guest are welcome.
Rebels potluck picnic
Autumn Rebels will meet Tuesday, May 8, in The Barn at noon for a potluck picnic. Reservations should be made with Sis Wernert at 934-4445 by the day before the luncheon. Bring a dish to share and table service.
Club to elect officers
The May luncheon meeting of the Avon Research Club will be Friday, May 11, at the Fox and Crow Restaurant, Avon, at noon. Election and installation of officers will take place.
The Latest News
(c) 2001, The Morning Journal